Saturday, October 29, 2011

Meeting New Friends

Do you think God is trying to tell me I need more friends or something?
To be honest, I don't do too well making new friends, and between yesterday and today, I'll have met and spent time with a bunch of new people.
Two nights in a row... boy.
I'm not sure what it is that I get nervous about.
Sometimes I don't feel like I have enough interesting things to say, or when I do say something it will be dumb or won't come out right.
I don't know. 
It's probably something I should shake and move on from.

Mono works in a great office. There's only 4 of them in there, but they are a lot of fun. It's 3 guys and one girl. By now, I am friendly and comfortable with all of them. I went to dinner with Mono and one of the guys from the office and the people they were working with a week or two ago. And then last night Emily, the girl in the office, asked us to go to see a movie with her and some other people from work. It was a movie I had really been wanting to see so I jumped at the opportunity to go out with her! 

She's the sweetest and I always enjoy her company when we're all hanging out, going to lunch, etc. I did not realize this when I went, but it was an actual movie premiere in our town! What fun! I would have shown up in something better than jeans and a sweater and a ponytail. The actors and actresses, directors and producers were all there to meet afterward which was very memorable and tons of fun. The movie was great with a fabulous message to go along. It was really neat to know the movie was made by locals and shot in our state! 

So we had a great time with Emily and some other people that had come with her. After watching the movie and talking to one of the producers for a while, we went to get some coffee... that's when I met new people. I really enjoyed it, but I still always feel like I'm awkward. 

Then today a couple from Mono's work invited us over for dinner. They mentioned it a week or two ago and tonight was the night we went over. Driving over there I was a little nervous.
What if they don't like me?
What if I say really dumb things?
What if we have nothing in common?
You know, all those type of questions.

When we pulled up and one of their little girls was waiting at the door, most of those nerves went away. I thought to myself, "This is going to be okay; It's going to be fun." We walked in to their beautiful home and enjoyed the next few hours very much. We all got along so well, had so much in common and felt comfortable as you would with close friends.For a long time I've been wanting to get to know the wife of this family and I finally met her and have the opportunity to have a good friend in her.

For me it is always nice to have a friend that you can share your faith with, along with your interests and fun hobbies. We spent a few hours with this family and I hope this is the beginning of a really dear friendship. My parents have had friends that really share in common interests as well as the same views of our faith and I have always hoped to meet one or two couples to have friendships just like that. Maybe this is it. Maybe meeting all these new people this week is the start of something like my parents have!

And tomorrow we are going to our new Church for the first time, and I am really looking forward to meeting some people there when we go. There is a Church that we attend daily during the week that I love. It's close to home, right there for Mono to go while he's at work and we know a lot of people there. But we wanted a place to be a member of and attend on Sundays.We were a bit more specific of what we wanted and our new friends helped us seal the deal with our decision for this Church for Sunday Mass. I'll have to let you know how it goes tomorrow!

What a good night!
Off to bed now!

No comments:

Post a Comment