Saturday, October 26, 2013

homemade bread

Homemade bread is one of my very favorite things. Fresh and warm out of the oven with some butter spread on it. Oh yum. I wanted something tasty and quick. Some bread takes a long time with all the rising that needs to happen. I can't knead bread right now with the issue with my wrist so I needed something that could be done in the mixer. And this was easy and done all in my Kitchen Aid! Once it was mixed and kneaded, I let it rise in a bowl and then shaped them into two baguettes and made diagonal slices through them. Then let them rise again and put a little egg wash over them and popped it into the oven for 30 minutes! So easy and so yummy! 

A few tips: I use these baguette pans to bake them on. This is how I shape my bread. And here is the recipe, though I changed the type of oil from vegetable to olive.

Ingredients:
2 cups of warm water
1 tablespoon of yeast
1 tablespoon of olive oil
1 tablespoon of sugar
2 teaspoons of salt
5-5 1/2 cups of bread flour

Directions:

Dissolve the yeast and sugar in warm water, in a large bowl. Allow the yeast to proof (foam) for about 10 minutes.

Add salt, oil, and 3 cups of the flour. Beat that for about 2 minutes, until it comes together nicely.

Stir in the other two cups of flour to make a stiff dough. This is where you may need to add a little more flour or a little more water. You have to play around with it.

Knead it until smooth and elastic for about 10 minutes.

Place the finished dough in a lightly oiled bowl. Turn the dough to cover the sides with the oil. Then cover it and let it rise until it has doubled in size.

Once it is doubled in size, punch it down and divide into two loaves (or however many you are making, depending on the size you want).

I did not grease the pan or sprinkle with cornmeal. I just used that baguette pan. But if you use a cookie sheet, then grease the pan.

Once the loaves are on the pan, cut diagonal slices on top of the loaf. You can use a knife or scissors, but don't push the shaped loaf down too hard.

Cover and let rise again until it has enlarged to the right size.

Before putting in the oven, brush an egg wash over the loaves to get a nice colored crunchy crust.

Bake at 375 degrees for about 30 minutes.

Enjoy!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment