Tuesday, July 9, 2013

an almost one pan dish

Spring Break doesn't happen for Momma's of babies. Maybe once they are school age and we have school breaks, Spring breaks will happen again. Spring break does happen for my cousin, and Gus's god-mother. She decided to spend hers with us and we were delighted to have her and my aunt stay with us for a few days! Lea is a fabulous cook! While she was here one night she cooked an easy and healthy meal. I wasn't sure if the hubs would like it, but even he did so it has become a repeat favorite meal in our home! I don't have exact measurements, but hopefully between my pictures and approximate measurements, you can enjoy this easy and healthy meal as we do!

You will need:
a large pan, with a cover
olive oil
2-3 shallots (or more if you'd like! the hubs doesn't like them so we don't use too many)
garlic (i used one whole head because we love garlic)
kale (one bunch)
parmesan cheese (to your liking)
pasta (i used about 1 pound of rigatoni)

First I begin with the prep work.

Cut the stems off the kale and then chop finely.


Then slice the shallots. I would do this finely as well, but keep it larger so the hubs can remove of the deadly slimy things easily! The garlic is finely chopped. That's not deadly to the hubs.


After everything is chopped and sliced, I start my pasta water boiling.


Then, I pour a generous amount of extra virgin olive oil over the bottom of my 14" pan and let it heat.



Put the shallots in first so they become slightly transparent.


And then add in the garlic. (add more oil if needed)


Once the onion and garlic has blended well, add in the kale. 


I pour a slight bit of water in and stir before I cover for a few minutes, cooking on medium-high heat. Keep it at a temperature to cook high, yet not stick and burn.


After the shallots, garlic and kale have been cooking for a few minutes, it is at this point I add in the pasta to the boiling water.


Once the mixture is nice and tender in the pan and the pasta is ready, I pour out the pasta water and put the pasta into the pan, along with parmesan cheese. Mix and taste to your liking. Here I add salt and pepper to taste.



Enjoy! I hope you enjoy this dish as much as our family does! It is quick, easy, light and healthy and we love it! One of the best parts is, it is all done in nearly one pan! One pot for pasta water and one pan for the meal! Not too many dishes!


No comments:

Post a Comment