Friday, September 27, 2013

we need a goat

Yesterday I wrote about having to switch over to coconut milk rather than cow's milk to eliminate dairy from the boys' diet. Well, after successfully making the coconut milk last night, it was ready for them first thing this morning. I gave them their bottle with cold coconut milk and they would not have it. I tried every way imaginable. Cold in a bottle. Warmed up in a bottle. Warm in a sippy cup. Cold in a sippy cup. With an ice cube in a sippy cup. Nope. They would not drink the coconut milk. I tried it again a few hours later and they had the same reaction. So now my already frazzled self went into minor panic mode. What was I going to give them now?! No cow's milk. No coconut milk. The almond milk has some junk in it I don't like. I do not do anything soy, so soy milk was out. The only two options were goats milk (ick) or going back to formula, which I didn't really want to do. So, off I went to give goats milk a try. I bought the smallest carton they sold (a quart) let them try it in their bottles out in the car and when I saw they liked it, I went back in and bought some more. Now y'all, it's $7.99 a half gallon. Is it a golden goat or something?! At the rate these boys drink milk, the hubs and I are going to be living on rice and beans to afford that bill! Okay, it's not that bad, but you see what I mean. I'm praying these little ones don't have a milk allergy for many reasons, but let me say, I am going to be adding this one to the list! I have no food allergies, nor does my husband or really anyone in either of our families. So this is a really new thing to me. If it is longer term, I am going to have to do some research and reading to know what I am doing and how seriously it has to be taken. Thank God they do not have very severe reactions. My mother-in-law, who is endlessly helping me with this situation, has found that you can buy a powdered form. So I am going to look into that and see what kind of an option that may be if this is a long term thing... or just buy a goat and milk that baby every day. Hey, it'd help the hubs cut the grass! I just think we might have some neighborly issues to deal with if we added a goat to the family. I can see our next Christmas card: Merry Christmas! Love, Gus, Mare, Gus, Will, Jimmy, and Miss Goat. I think we will have to leave buying our very own pet goat for the last option. 

No comments:

Post a Comment