Sunday, March 4, 2012

What's In The Oven Tonight

A month or so ago, I was talking to one of my sisters and she was telling me what she cooked for dinner. They are always eating something insanely yummy and I don't know how they do it! And of course they are always all, "Oh, we're just having blah blah blah" and I think to myself "Just? That sounds heavenly!"
As of last night, I was going to take out some steaks for us to have a nice dinner tonight. Of course I forgot. I had asked Mono to remind me to take it out for dinner tonight, but he thought I meant to take it out today, rather than last night. So then it was too late to take them out this morning, have them defrost and have enough time to soak in yummy marinade.
Of course since I messed up my plan, this made a huge question mark hover over the thought of what dinner tonight would be. Immediately, I thought of Irm's dinner. Now, the night that she told me what she made, she never gave me the real specifics. She was just randomly telling me about dinner. So I didn't really know how to make tonight's dinner idea. I couldn't get in touch with her, so I couldn't double check what she did. And knowing it had to cook in the oven for a while, I had to get it going, whether I was doing it right or not. 
Just so you know, I know I did not do it right. But I am hoping that even  with what I did make, it tastes yummy. Or at least that I didn't poison us. Just kidding, it won't be that bad. I'm not an awful cook.
While it is in the oven, I went outside to check on Mono, who was out there setting something up, and I smelled one of our neighbors' dinner... some deliciously smelling barbecue. They had something on the grill and it tickled my nose! Yummmm. I said loud enough for which ever of our neighbors' dinner it is, "Oh Mono, smell that grilling! Someone's having a tasty dinner!" Stupid me. Of course I was loud enough for them to hear me. If I could smell it so strong, they could hear me being so loud. Our neighbors all probably think we are weirdos here.
So, now I am back inside and my dinner is cooking in the oven. I'm not really sure how long it should be in there for... but whenever I think it is done, we will eat and I will finish this post to update you on it's hopeful deliciousness!

Okay folks, dinner has been consumed!
Honestly, it wasn't as good as I hoped it would turn out.
I didn't season it enough and even though it was cooking for a really long time, the thinly slices potatoes were just not quite cooked enough. Once a little salt was added, it wasn't that bad at all. Next time, it will have more seasoning and more oven time and then I think it will be just perfectly tasty!

So you know what I made...
Thinly sliced potatoes, seasoned ground beef, a concoction of eggs, half and half and sour cream poured over all of it... The potatoes and beef was layered. I don't know what I was doing, but I will try it again... and eat the left overs.



132. sisters that really know how to cook
133. an evening where I feel decent enough to cook a nice dinner
134. a husband that is very loving and understanding when first tries on meals don't turn out like I had hoped

No comments:

Post a Comment